Sunday, May 16, 2010

Resisting those yard sales

'tis the season for buying other people's cast-offs

While I was out and about town this past week, I saw yard sale / garage sale notices on many a telephone pole.  Yep, it's that time of year when families and neighbours get together to sell items they have cleaned out from the nooks and crannies in their own homes.

I have been through this before and even participated in community yard sales.  It was a lot of work!  One lesson we learned was NOT to schedule ours on the same weekend as the Great Glebe Garage Sale.

What I like about some of the community events is the growing commitment to donate proceeds to various charitable organizations. Of course, there's also the much appreciated social aspect.

Since I am avoiding the temptation to bring more items into my home, I will not partake in yard sale or garage sale activities.  As I sift through my own material possessions and prepare for a move next year, I will put aside those items not wanted on the journey.  I have already tagged a few items I plan to offer first to family and friends. 


Since I want to avoid frustration, wasted time and energy, I prefer to contact directly some of the Ottawa area charities that will come to your home and pick up items.  How easy is that?  Some of them will even give you a charitable donation tax receipt. 

1 comment:

  1. The annual GGS is calling my name. Books Books Books...how can one resist?

    ReplyDelete