I've always enjoyed this tune from an era of pride and hope that blossomed in the 1970s.
Moving on up!
It's not like we're enjoying a long-overdue respect or a nouveau riche lifestyle and relocating to a deluxe apartment in the sky. It's more like we are planning to move and that I agreed to tackle my "discomfort with heights".
That's right. I don't like high places. I rarely go out onto our balcony. When I do, I hold the railing tightly if I look over the sides. Also, we recently discovered a wasp's nest nearby!
For our next habitation, one of the young folk convinced me to consider an apartment with a nicer (higher) view in addition to living in a well-managed, affordable and secure building. Okay, okay!
It has only been two years since the last move yet once again I am reviewing the top 10 tips for downsizing. I like to plan well in advance, especially when it comes to clearing out the clutter, the things we accumulate throughout our lives.
It's curious and daunting what objects - or animals - make their way into your home, demanding your time, money and space.
I love planning projects, making task lists and logistical checklists. I like getting creative with floor plans, taking measurements, cutting out scaled-down, two-dimensional paper shapes of furniture and placing them in various arrangements. The kids thought I was being obsessive last time but it sure helped when we moved into le petit apartement and made everything fit into place.
My evil plan of pushing one or two birds out of the nest last time didn't work. One wasn't quite ready and another ended up moving back in. So here we are again, still in our cozy, crowded apartment of four humans and two cats.
Benefits of moving often:
- You get to review your collection of people, animals and things;
- You can offload extra furniture and kitchen supplies to your grown children for when they move out. When they move out...;
- You discover interesting things at the back of the fridge, cupboard, pantry;
- You finally locate that article of clothing, important document or much-loved book that went missing!
- You get to move into a new home with a fresh coat of paint;
- You plan ahead for a positive change in your life and a change of scenery. This sure helps one get through a long, dark winter!
Links of interest:
- Apartment Therapy: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/
- Smart space-saving solutions for a small apartment: https://www.ikeafamilylive.com/en/home-story/space-saving-solutions-40#photo-142
- Top 10 tips for downsizing: http://www.styleathome.com/homes/real-estate/top-10-tips-for-downsizing/a/308
- Moving Out! A Young Adult's Guide to Living on Your Own: http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Young-Adults-Guide-Living/dp/1897508956
- Do you have others to offer? Please copy and paste in the comments box below.
Did you find this blog entry funny, interesting or inspiring? (See the reaction check boxes below). You can also subscribe to / follow this blog via email notification. See the little sign-up box on the right hand side of this page.
You may also want to visit the blog for The Year of the Rabbit, a novel about fate, family and forgiveness.
Thanks for dropping by.