Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Spirituality of Wine

I like wine.  Don't go thinking I drink a lot of it though.  Like many people, I enjoy raising a glass with family and friends while dining or sharing in a celebration.  It aids with the digestion and helps one relax after a long, hard day. 

"Wine is a magician, for it loosens the tongue and liberates good stories." Homer

I am enjoying Tom Harpur's book "The Spirituality of Wine".  It's a nice, light read for the public transit commute along the Ottawa River Parkway.  It's also educational and contains colourful pictures :0)  The only problem is its size and that I have to scrunch up with it in my arms so as to not crowd my seat companions.  It was likely meant to be more of a coffee table book...

Harpur also provides quotes throughout the book.  My favourite so far is attributed to Julia Child:  "Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives.  Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death.  When not treated with reasonable respect it will sicken and die."

In my hopeful novel, Year of the Rabbit, wine appears often throughout the story.  It represents craftsmanship, celebration and patience.  Giovanni's family comes from a long line of vintners.  Although estranged from them for many years, he did not forget the significance of their craft.  You can read an excerpt from Chapter 12 at this page

The Spirituality of Wine
2004, Northstone Publishing
http://www.tomharpur.com/books/books_thespiritualityofwine.asp

I have also read and blogged about Tom Harpur's THE PAGAN CHRIST: Rediscovering the Lost Light.  Very interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment