Sunday, August 8, 2010

Forward s/ash

In my many years working as an IT support person, I have encountered frequent opportunities to help users understand the difference between a forward slash "/" and a back slash "\".  By default, "slash" usually refers to the forward slash.

The best analogy I can give is that the forward slash /  is used in web site addresses i.e. http://www.deepblondethoughts.ca.  It's forward looking.  It represents progress, leaning forward in a society of left to right directional readers and writers.

The back slash \ is used in boring old Windows PC DOS path names such as c:\my documents. 

Recently I listened in horror to an advertisement on a local soft rock radio station.  The announcer incorrectly stated the company's web site address by using "http, colon, back slash, back slash, www.  - blah, blah".  

Did they NOT have someone edit their ad copy?  Do they not have someone on staff to pick up on and correct technical terminology?  Maybe they did it on purpose to get a rise out of keyboard and web purists?  Well it worked but unfortunately for them, I don't recall what the ad was about!


Moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment