Thursday, May 5, 2011

For the Love of Older Women


No, I'm not referring to the 1978 movie In Praise of Older Women but it likely caught the attention of a few mature men out there, eh?  Or perhaps people were thinking this was a Mother's Day reference

This starts out as more of a self-assurance observation.  In a recent professional setting, someone assumed I was part of a "different age range" as in, older than my actual age.  At first I was taken aback.  That was the first time that I can remember when someone did NOT think I looked younger than my age.  Using a tool called "benign interpretation", I turned this around considering that perhaps this person thought I was more mature and wise than my biological age.  That's right... I turned it into a compliment!

I like being seen as a mature, intelligent woman who has many creative, productive years ahead of her.  I am a woman, a mother and a crone in training.  To balance and complement these feminine roles, I also like to nurture my inner child.

With Mother's Day coming up this Sunday, I look forward to my own young folk helping to prepare meals and tidy up in the kitchen.  That will give me more time to reflect, sort and pack for our move - as well as allow for some creative activities.  I also invite visitors to read a post in honour of Marie Fletcher, the mother of the nature child / heroine in The Year of the Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment