Thursday, September 15, 2011

Writing as therapy

The novel received coverage in the Citizen's The Wrap last weekend.  Follow details in the blog for The Year of the Rabbit.  

I accepted an opportunity to promote the novel (for free, at that!) as well as recall and share a very challenging time in my life.  It's a small compromise of privacy compared to what I had to endure and reveal to strangers during the three-year criminal trial.  I consider myself a real life survivor.  

The article mentions my use of writing as therapy.  I have already heard from people who read it, who praised my courage and mentioned their own experiences with domestic abuse.  

I've been writing and speaking about writing as therapy for years, it seems.  I spoke of this in June at an arts event.   Writing out daily activities, memorable events, plans and dreams help me express joy, sadness, love, loneliness, curiosity and recognize a need for change.

The pen can be mightier than the sword. 

 T




1 comment:

  1. As of December 2011, word from a local writing network is that The Ottawa Citizen has discontinued "The Wrap". As one group member put it "Its demise means another outlet for area writers has gone."

    Too bad...

    ReplyDelete