Wednesday, April 16, 2014

No longer a spring chicken

Well, Eastern Ontario was pelted with snow and ice pellets once again.

Half-way through April and Old Man Winter is still sticking around. I had to pull out my little boots and holey gloves.  

Many of us are ready for refreshing greens, spring flowers and a gentle breeze.  Give me colour, sunshine and hope. Of all seasons, I would like spring to linger - and not be rushed out by stifling summer heat and humidity.  I generate enough heat on my own, thank you very much!

I am no longer a spring chicken but I find it one of my favourite seasons.  It is a time to celebrate renewal and rebirth.  

As a former Catholic, I occasionally will read the bible, follow the Pope on Twitter and enjoy learning mythology from different cultures.  In particular, I really appreciate the one about Eostre, the Goddess of Spring. 

My drab workstation is already decorated with an Easter Egg Tree and eggs painted by a creative, former co-worker. 


These eggs were decorated almost 20 years ago and are still in good condition.  The act of putting those eggs on display has rekindled a spark, a desire for creativity.

Recently, I had one of the young folk dig a box out of the storage area because I knew that within that box was a protective case containing concept art I had done many years ago.



I created that Yin Yegg during a feverish winter cold in 1999.  It was during a time that I was learning about the art of Feng Shui, looking for ways to harmonize our then unhappy and cluttered home.  

It has been a while since I have painted or drawn.  Over the past few years, I have mainly illustrated with words in various blog posts, opinion articles and my bittersweet novel.  At least the latter is going through changes in preparation for the next print edition, with the help of a resident artiste

As we approach the Easter weekend, I will encourage my family to pause for reflection.  My offspring are too old for childlike craft activities so I doubt we will decorate any eggs.  I still like to look at ideas that others have come up with - especially those that use non-toxic materials and don't create waste. 

Pinterest is a great place for exploring decorating ideas, wardrobe collections and options for self adornment.  Being a low-maintenance gal, I think I'll create a board for cool summer blouses and comfortable shoes. 

Thanks for dropping by.

Happy Easter!

T


1 comment:

  1. Maurice Chevalier, the great French singer said it best. "Thank heaven for little girls. " aloha

    ReplyDelete